2016-2017 HALT Award for Excellence in Teaching
The Hawai‘i Association of Language Teachers (HALT) is seeking nominations for its 2016-2017 Excellence in Teaching Award. The awards are made to recognize the outstanding contributions and achievements of second language teachers in teaching and promoting Hawaiian and foreign languages in the State of Hawai‘i.
The recipients will be honored during special presentations at the HALT Spring Conference held on April 1, 2017 at the Kamakakūokalani Center for Hawaiian Studies at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa.
Guidelines for Nominations:
- The awards are open to language teachers at all levels: elementary, secondary, and post-secondary. Two winners will be selected: one from K-12 and one from higher education.
- Nominees and nominators must be members of HALT in good standing, and nominations must be made by a minimum of two HALT members.
- Nominations must be in writing and should state the qualifications and achievements of the nominees. (Nomination form below). Nominations are due by February 15, 2017.
- The names of nominees and nominations will be held in confidence by the Selection Committee.
Guidelines for Nominees:
- Each nominee must then complete an application form, which includes vitae, two letters of recommendation, and documentation supporting the nomination. The letters must come from the nominee’s administrator and one colleague who teaches foreign languages.
- Criteria for selection:a) evidence of effective teaching (evaluations, objective data such as number of students, etc.).
b) participation in professional development activities.
c) service to the foreign language profession or foreign language related service to the community.
- Upon selection, the nominee must attend the HALT spring conference to receive the award.
- Application form and supporting documents must be postmarked no later than February 28, 2017 to the HALT Awards Coordinator (see below):
- No incomplete or late applications can be considered.
HALT Awards Coordinator (University Level)
1890 East-West Road, Moore Hall 483
Department of Languages and Literatures of Europe and the Americas
University of Hawaii at Mānoa
Honolulu, HI 96822
Telephone: 265-7174 / Email: reemelin @ hawaii . edu
HALT Awards Coordinator (K-12 Level)
P.O. Box 11372
Honolulu, HI 96828
Telephone: 647-0228 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org