HALT Excellence in Teaching Award
With the generous sponsorship of the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, HALT typically recognizes two outstanding world language teachers (K-12, Higher Education) each year.
Nominators and nominees must be current HALT members in good standing. The HALT K-12 award winner will be HALT’s nominee for the SWCOLT regional Teacher of the Year. HALT will provide travel support to help defray the nominee’s travel expenses.
HALT congratulates its 2017 HALT-Honolulu Star-Advertiser Excellence in Teaching Award winners: Heather Paulino (Spanish, Moanalua High School) and Rachel Mamiya Hernandez (Portuguese & Spanish, UH Manoa). Bravo!
Nancy Wysard (Spanish, Mid-Pacific Institute) and Heather Nylen (Spanish, UH Manoa).
Heui Chung Daisy Pei (Chinese, Mid-Pacific Institute) and Luisa Kou (Spanish, UH Manoa).
Guia Melo (Spanish, ‘Iolani School) and Ron Kekeha Solis (Hawaiian, UH Manoa).
- 2013: Kim Galante Wong, Spanish, UH Manoa
- 2013: Linda Fujikawa, Japanese, Kapiolani Community College
- 2012: Noriko Fujimoto-Vergel, Japanese, Island Pacific Academy
- 2012: Sheldon Ormsby, Spanish, Mililani High School
- 2011: Satoru Shinagawa, Japanese, Kapiolani Community College
- 2010: Marta Gonzalez-Lloret, Spanish, LLEA, UH Manoa
- 2010: Sam L. “Noea‘u” Warner, Hawaiian, UH Manoa
- 2010: Melvina Kurashige, Japanese, Mid-Pacific Institute
- 2009: Chie Tanaka Roessler, Japanese, Kauai High School
- 2009: Chhany Sak-Humphry, Khmer (Cambodian), IPLL, UH Manoa
- 2008: Aumua Mataitusi Simanu Papalii, Samoan, IPLL, UH Manoa
- 2008: Lyanne Iwamoto, Spanish, Roosevelt High School
- 2007: Esther Rodrigo Diez, Spanish, LLEA, UH Manoa
- 2007: Anne Marie Shim, Spanish, Mid-Pacific Institute
- 2006: Lucia Aranda, Spanish, LLEA, UH Manoa
- 2006: Kathryn A. Klingebiel, French, Welsh, LLEA, UH Manoa
- 2005: Cindy Wong, Japanese, Aiea High School
- 2005: Tess Lane, Spanish, Hawai’i Pacific University
- 2004: Naomi Hirano-Omizo, Japanese, Punahou School
- 2004: John Mayer, Samoan, HIPLL, UH Manoa
- 2003: Sue Fujitani, Chinese, Kapi‘olani CC
- 2003: Meg Uehara, Japanese, McKinley High School
- 2002: Junko Hanai Agena, Japanese, Aina Haina Elementary
- 2002: Gary Kanada, Hawaiian and Japanese, Hawai‘i Pacific University
- 2001: Jan Asato, Japanese, Punahou School
- 2001: Luz-Marina Barnard, Spanish LLEA, UH Manoa
- 2001: Ruth Elynia Mabanglo, Filipino, HIPLL, UH Manoa
- 2000: Stephen Fleming, Chinese, NFLRC, UH Manoa
- 2000: Lily Liu, Chinese, Maryknoll School
- 1999: Mia Asari, Japanese, Pearl City Highlands
- 1999: Paul Chandler, Spanish, LLEA, UH Manoa
- 1999: Elizabeth Kauahipaula, Hawaiian, Waiau Elementary School
- 1998: William Burgwinkle, French LLEA, UH Manoa
- 1998: Vanny Clay, French, Punahou School
- 1998: Pat Harpstrite, Spanish, LLEA, UH Manoa
- 1997: Carol Beresiwsky, Spanish/French, Kapi‘olani CC
- 1997: Melodee Metzger, Spanish, LLEA, UH Manoa
- 1994: Kyoko Hijirida, Japanese, EALL, UH Manoa
- 1994: Joy Logan, Spanish, LLEA, UH Manoa
- 1994: Cindy Ning, Chinese, CCS, UH Manoa
- 1993: Teresita Ramos, Filipino, HIPLL, UH Manoa
- 1992: Austin Dias, Spanish, LLEA, UH Manoa
- 1990: Hiromi Peterson, Japanese, Punahou School
From left to right, first row: Vanny Clay, Jan Asato, Ruth Elynia Mabanglo, Luz-Marina Barnard, Kyoko Hijirida, Teresita Ramos.
From left to right, second row: Hiromi Peterson, Carol Beresiwsky, Cindy Ning, Melodee Metzger, Paul Chandler, Austin Dias.
For more details, contact:
HALT Awards Coordinator
1890 East-West Road, Moore Hall 431
Department of Languages and Literatures of Europe and the Americas
University of Hawaii at Mānoa
Honolulu, HI 96822
Telephone: 956-5833 / Email: laranda @ hawaii . edu